Course Staff and office hours
Tu,Th, 11:00 - 12:15, Gates B08.
Optional textbooks (most of the readings will be from papers
handed out in class):
Course project: pdf
Due: Tuesday, Dec. 6th
The goal is to cover one topic (idea) per week.
Please keep in mind that there are many more ideas in
computer security that we will not get to in this seminar.
Students are encouraged to take the more advanced security
courses in their junior and senior years.
To keep things lively we will interleave topics in computer
security and cryptography.
Here is a tentative list of the ten 'ideas' we will discuss:
- Symmetric encryption and message integrity.
- Buffer overflow attacks and defenses.
- Public key encryption.
- Confinment and Sandboxing.
- User Authentication.
- Zero Knowledge protocols.
- Viruses: building and defending.
- Network security protocols.
- Denial of Service attacks.